Sunday, January 10, 2010

Favorite Books

I thank my mom for teaching me the joy of reading. I truly love to read and believe I could live without TV if my husband didn't enjoy football so much. I will admit that we are 24 fans, and look forward to Jack Bauer's adventures after work each Monday in January - May.

This weekend I started to read the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Based upon the cover, I was a little concerned it would be a second attempt at Marley & Me (which I thought was a good book, but didn't necessarily want to read another dog destroys house, dog becomes part of family, and dog dies book). I'm only 10 chapters into "The Art of Racing.." The story is told by Enzo the dog, and he is an incredibly witty, and descriptive narrator. I truly enjoy the writing style, and have worked to pay more attention to the technicalities in each book I read since I am SLOWLY working on my own story.




This led me to reflect upon my favorite books of 2009. I'm in a book club that begun this summer, but haven't really enjoyed any of the books we've read so far (bleh). I'm sure I left a few off the list, but these are the primary books that come to mind.

Light of the Moon
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Water for Elephants
Three Cups of Tea
The Shack (I think I actually read this in 2008, but I'll put it on the list)
Same Kind of Different as Me (also think this was a 2008 ...)

2 comments:

  1. Have you read The Help? I am listening to the audiobook right now. I like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read three of the same books for our book club. I couldn't make it through The Shack - I thought it was very strange. The authors of Same Kind of Different as Me spoke at the Downtown Fort Worth Methodist Church and I was sorry that I missed them. How's the writing coming along?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete