Monday, February 8, 2010

Weekend Getaway

Derek and I made a spontaneous decision to drive to Fredericksburg this weekend for a change of pace. We had an easy drive there and back (easy for me because I didn't drive)! We went with our friends Ioana and Ryan and had fun walking and shopping on Main Street, wine tasting at Becker Vineyards, and spending a lot of time at the Nimitz Museum.

My Grandpa Long served in the Navy in World War II, and there is a plaque in his honor at the museum. I was really happy to have a chance to see the plaque first hand. The picture is from 1944 when he briefly came back stateside to see my Grandma, before returning to his ship in the Pacific.



The museum in Fredericksburg is truly a hidden treasure. In addition to the Nimitz Museum, there is a Pacific War Museum, Presidential Plaza, and the new Bush Galleries that would take at least 2 days to experience in full. It's well worth the drive from DFW.

Since we were in a German settled town, we felt compelled to eat authentic German food for dinner. I was more impressed with the schnitzel this time than I was last time I tried it at age 13 or so! :) However, I'm still not a cabbage fan....

1 comment:

  1. How interesting to find your grandparents' picture. I love Fredericksburg but have never made it to the museum. I especially like the little Sunday houses. I can't imagine living so far out of town that you have to have a house to stay in just so you can go to church on Sundays.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete