Sunday, February 28, 2010

2009 Recap

My blog was named after my ever entertaining and lovable horse, Scout. When I purchased Scout, the only event I competed in for 1 year was Reining. Here's the text book definition:

Reining is a western riding competition for horses where the riders guide the horses through a precise pattern of circles, spins, and stops. All work is done at the lope (a slow, relaxed version of the horse gait more commonly known worldwide as the canter) and gallop; the fastest of the horse gaits. Reining is often described as a Western form of dressage riding, as it requires the horse to be responsive and in tune with its rider, whose aids should not be easily seen, and judges the horse on its ability to perform a set pattern of movements.

In 2009, I ventured to compete in several new events which included Working Cow Horse, Barrel Racing, Pole Bending, Stakes Race, and Working Ranch Horse. Between these 5 events and reining, Scout completed the 2009 show year as #12 in our region in all around competition.

I am the most proud of the following accomplishments:
#1 in the Nation: APHA Novice Amateur Pole Bending
#1 in the Nation: APHA Novice Amateur Stakes Race

#1 in Texas (PPHSS): Novice Amateur Reining
#1 in Texas (PPHSS): Novice Amateur Stakes Races
#2 in Texas (PPHSS): Novice Amateur Pole Bending
#2 in Texas(PPHSS): Novice Amateur Barrel Racing
#2 in Texas (PPHSS): Novice Amateur Limited Working Cow Horse
#2 in Texas (PPHSS): Novice Amateur Stock Horse Reining

APHA 2009 World Championship
: Finalist Novice Amateur Reining (#14 in the World)

APHA 2009 World Championship: 5th Place Amateur Limited Working Cow Horse



It was a great year, and I feel so fortunate to have a horse as willing and versatile as Scout.

Our goals for 2010 include the hope for a World or Reserve title between the Pinto World Championship in Tulsa or Paint World Championship in Fort Worth this summer (both are held in June). I am also venturing out to compete in Trail, and we finished 4th out of 14 in our first trail class last night! Thanks to Derek for hauling us to all of our competitions (if you know horse shows, they take a lot of patience if you aren't the one riding!) :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm very, very impressed. My last and final horse riding experience was in Jamaica where my only goal was to stay on the horse. I had a bout of horse fright and one of the Jamaican guides had to guide my horse the whole tour - the guide's name was English, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You will have to meet Scout one day. He's a sweet horse. My mom had a very similar situation occur when she went trail riding with me in Colorado about 15 years ago. She hasn't been on a horse since then!

    ReplyDelete