Tuesday, June 21, 2011

That was easy!

When we planted the garden in mid March, I took a chance on red potato bulbs. I only had about 8 bulbs and planted them along a two and a half foot space that remained at the edge of the garden. The potatoes sprouted quickly, and the plant tops grew to almost a foot and a half tall, but began to die about 2 months after I planted the bulbs. I decided to cut the dead parts away and realized that the entire 'plant portion' was basically dead.

I googled potatoes online, and of course read about a hundred different methods to grow potatoes. I decided we mine should start digging and see what happened underground over the last 2 months.

Low and behold, A LOT happened! We had about 20 potatoes! It was extra fun because my mother in law and 2 year old niece were over the day we decided to dig. My sweet niece Baylee had a lot of fun and may now think that when she digs in the ground, she will find potatoes (everywhere)! "Diggin for potatoes??..." (phrased as a question) was the quote of the day!

2 comments:

  1. I had a few potatoes this year too. I always thought you were supposed to dig them up when they flowered, but my neighbor who is a master gardener said you should let the leaves wilt and die before digging up. Sounds like you have had an abundance of vegetables this year.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good info. I accidentally waited until they wilted/died to dig them up, so I guess it was a lucky guess. We enjoyed the potatoes and they were the most low maintenance thing we grew!

    ReplyDelete