Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Procrastination...

My second class at SMU is a Manufacturing Innovation Management course. It sounds interesting on paper, but in reality it is not. Mainly because both required texts are practically written in the King's English. A class mate described it well when he mentioned he thought Yoda served as a ghost writer...seriously.

In lieu of completing my 'suggested' reading assignments this term, I opted to read two books 'for fun' that I couldn't put down. I finished Pillars of the Earth in late April. I heard a lot of hype about the book (originally published over 20 years ago...but Oprah has her way with selling things..) Needless to say, Pillars was great and the characters truly come to life as you sink further into the story. This is particularly true of the villain, William Hamleigh. I still think about his ruthless ways when my mind wanders.



Several friends recommended The Help recently, and it just so happened to be the next book selected for my book club (which I skipped the last 2 times). So, what better time to start reading than now...?? I just finished last night, and loved the story. If you have read both books, am I venturing too far to say Hilly is the modern day female version of a William Hamleigh?



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have jumped in to academia with both feet. I ordered Pillars of the Earth after your mom recommended it. I haven't read it yet though.

    ReplyDelete